This Jesus we follow has made us a part of an upside-down kingdom. There is what we know to be normal and conventional; Jesus’ way is usually the opposite. I am drawn to the many sayings of Jesus that really illustrate this. They speak such truth. They are attractive in how contradictory they are to everything we know. At the same time, they are also maddening because they call us to a new way of thinking that is uncomfortable and disorienting, so they are not how we would normally go about life.
Today’s chapter is full of those upside-down kingdom statements:
- Don’t let your traditions guide all you do (14:3-6)
- Don’t take a good seat at a party (14:7-11)
- Don’t expect those most like you to accept your invitation to dinner (14:12-24)
- Don’t think family is most important (14:26-27)
- Don’t try to hang on to your possessions (14:33)
Jesus way may be upside-down to the way we normally think, but could it be that this makes all the difference?